10 replies to this topic

#1 bulldognation

bulldognation

Advanced Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted Oct 06 2010 08:09 AM

There is this list of 25 most dangerous neighborhood in US and unfortunately Atlanta made the list, 3 times.

Neighborhood: Carter St.
Found within ZIP code: 30314, 30313
Predicted annual violent crimes: 118
Violent crime rate(per 1,000): 126.77
My chances of becoming a victim here (in one year): 1 in 8

Neighborhood:
Marietta St.
Found within ZIP code: 30313, 30303
Predicted annual violent crimes: 307
Violent crime rate(per 1,000): 114.18
My chances of becoming a victim here (in one year): 1 in 9

Neighborhood: Richardson St.
Found within ZIP code: 30312, 30303
Predicted annual violent crimes: 119
Violent crime rate(per 1,000): 94.94
My chances of becoming a victim here (in one year): 1 in 11

see the full list and the zip code map here.

#2 Hoosier

Hoosier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted Nov 01 2010 12:56 PM

And I thought Chicago was bad! Does anyone know if they're adding more officers to the police force, or at the very least adding more patrols to those areas?

#3 u_angelwolf_storm

u_angelwolf_storm
  • Guests

Posted Nov 02 2010 04:13 PM

I had to drive through Atlanta one time. I stopped once but it was just off the highway. If the crime statistics there didn't stop me from wanting to live there the amount of people there would. It is crazy!

#4 sam44

sam44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted Nov 02 2010 06:19 PM

For people who have never been to Atlanta before (and even those who have), Atlanta can be a scary place. The interstates are confusing, possibly leading you to an exit besides the one you intended to exit. Neighborhoods are crime ridden. Help is scarce. It's just a bad situation all around.

#5 QandAwhiz

QandAwhiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted Nov 02 2010 09:03 PM

I didn't realize Atlanta was such a scary place. I don't like the odds of becoming a crime victim in the neighborhoods listed. What areas of Atlanta are those neighborhoods in? Surely, all of Atlanta isn't that way.

#6 sam44

sam44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted Nov 03 2010 12:13 PM

Q, from what I've seen and know about as a child living in Atlanta, I think the worse areas are in west Atlanta. North Atlanta is prestigious, east and south Atlanta are mostly blue collar workers. It's the west section that's really bad.

#7 sunshine

sunshine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted Nov 04 2010 07:02 PM

Wow, I just took a look at that list. That is pretty scary! I've been to Atlanta a few times, then stayed overnight once when I got stranded at the airport. I can't imagine the entire city being like that, though.

#8 QandAwhiz

QandAwhiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted Nov 12 2010 12:05 AM

That's what I thought. Atlanta has the really bad neighborhoods, the prestigious ones, and the blue-collar ones, just like every other city. How is it that the bad ones are most often in the west end?

#9 QandAwhiz

QandAwhiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted Nov 12 2010 12:06 AM

That's what I thought. Atlanta has the really bad neighborhoods, the prestigious ones, and the blue-collar ones, just like every other city. How is it that the bad ones are most often in the west end?

#10 sam44

sam44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted Nov 21 2010 07:58 PM

I don't know, Q, but it seems like that's the way it is. Always the west side of town. I know west Birmingham is very bad as well, but I live about 25 miles north of Birmingham, in the 'burbs. There's no way I could live where I constantly feared for my life. But I know, some people don't have a choice. Thank God I do!

#11 sashasheb

sashasheb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted Nov 26 2010 01:17 PM

I also did not realize Atlanta was that bad. I will be sure to avoid it on my visit in the spring. I agree with you Q, it does always seem to be the west side of town that is the worst anyplace I have lived.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users